The Kepler & K2 missions are offering internship opportunities to graduate and undergraduate students wishing to to gain experience in the scientific exploitation and operations of a major NASA mission.
The internships are based at Kepler/K2's mission headquarters at the NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View, California.
Example projects we can offer include:
- Designing an interactive web application to compute Kepler’s planet occurrence rates, or to visualize K2’s planet discoveries.
- Searching the Kepler/K2 data for unknown asteroids and comets.
- Assisting the quality control of new data releases by improving the k2-quality-control software.
- Mining the Kepler/K2 literature and producing enhanced publication statistics using the kpub software.
- Writing Kepler/K2 data analysis tutorials.
Due to the technical nature of these projects, candidates are expected to present evidence of strong and relevant computing skills, such as Python, AstroPy, GitHub, Linux, and/or web development.
Interested participants should submit a <2-page proposal to email@example.com outlining their skills, ambitions, and period of availability. Candidates may be eligible to receive lodging and a stipend as part of NASA’s internship program.